Saferworld is an independent international organisation working to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives. We work with people affected by conflict to improve their safety and sense of security, and conduct wider research and analysis. We use this evidence and learning to improve local, national and international policies and practices that can help build lasting peace. Our priority is people - we believe in a world where everyone can lead peaceful, fulfilling lives, free from fear and insecurity. We are a not-for-profit organisation operational in 10 countries across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. https://www.saferworld.org.uk/
Beschrijving van de functie
Beschrijving van de functie
The organisation is funded mainly by grants from the European Commission and other bodies. We have successfully implemented SUN system as our global financial system and we need an experienced, hands-on manager to implement this in the Belgium office ensuring the financial records are kept in a way appropriate to meet the country statutory reporting requirements as well as the EC reporting, compliance and audit requirements.
The post-holder will work in Brussels with a responsibility for a wide range of functions and services managing funds, finance and compliance for Saferworld Europe in close cooperation with Saferworld's London headquarters, China programme and other Saferworld teams as relevant. This is a key role in ensuring financial information is accurately up to date and assists in developing our control frameworks, processes and procedures and solving problems. The EU finance and compliance manager will work closely with country finance teams and other colleagues on issues related to EU funded projects.
● Coordinate finance management, donor compliance and contract management,
● Maintain finance and administrative systems to ensure smooth and efficient processes are in place for Saferworld Europe asbl.
● Provide financial management for Saferworld Europe's EU and other projects, including ensuring financial compliance with regulations for EU and European projects
● Provide advice and capacity building on the design and control of Saferworld Europe's EU and other projects (in both application and reporting stages).
Roles and responsibilities:
The EU finance and compliance manager will:
● Oversee Saferworld Europe's day-to-day financial management
● Manage all project level finances and administration as they relate to a three-year project on Africa-China-Europe dialogue and cooperation on preventing the diversion of arms and ammunition in Africa (in particular, managing budgets, monitoring expenditure, collecting timesheets, payslips, invoices and all other supporting evidence needed to comply with donors' requirements).
● Undertake financial donor reporting on EU projects (currently focussed on Africa-China-Europe project - with potential scope in the future for new projects if they are secured)
● Ensure compliance with donor regulations and ensuring successful audits of EU projects (particularly Africa-China-Europe project)
● Compile monthly financial reporting including maintaining accurate records of all Brussels transactions in SUN, reconciling bank statements and expenses and providing monthly financial reports to the accountant, UK finance team and to the ● Head of EU Office Preparing an internal management report quarterly for the Board and monthly for HQ finance clearly showing expenditure against the budget
● Extract transactions and reports necessary for the Accountant to produce the statutory reports for in-country compliance
● Prepare and submit EU transparency register declarations
● Undertake payroll analysis
● Develop financial policies and processes to ensure compliance with Belgian regulations
● Provide advice on budget design and financial management of EU grants and supporting the development of cost effective budgets for EU and other Saferworld Europe grants
● Maintain proper physical and electronic files and folders to enable the access of information to other relevant colleagues, accountant and auditors.
● Contribute to the improvement of financial management systems and processes for EU grants.
● Develop and maintain effective office systems, ensuring these are consistent with Saferworld's operating requirements
● Handle invoice payments/finance requests
● Maintain petty cash
● Ensure compliance with health and safety recommendations
● Provide administrative, financial and organisational support to members of staff as assigned.
Key working relationships
EU office team, London Finance team, China team, Financial controller, Funding team, Accountant, Auditor, Belgian service providers.
Scope and accountability
● Decision making and limits of authority Management of financial and administration of day to day operations with oversight from Head of Saferworld Europe, London finance team and Head of China programme (the oversight manager is dependent on the category of tasks)
● Monthly reporting.
● Financial resources Annual budget of approximately 500,000 euros (including office and current EU grant)
● Processing of financial transactions
● Advice and support for funding generation.
● Other resources Responsibility for information database, quality and accuracy of data (information for accountant, auditors and finance team members accurately captured SUN system)
● Responsibility to ensure Saferworld Europe complies with Saferworld's financial policy and procedure manual.
Legal, regulatory and compliance responsibility
● Assist to ensure that employment practice in the country office is compliant with country labour laws
● Ensure all accounts are completed and recorded in line with both Belgian financial regulations and EU project regulations
● Assist the implementation of Health and Safety recommendations
● Ensure compliance with EU grant regulations.
Knowledge, qualifications and experience
● Experience with financial and administration management of EU-funded projects, including reporting to donors and working with auditors
● Recognised qualification in accounting / finance / business Management (ACCA, ICAEW, IEB, etc.)
● Relevant experience in a similar position
● Experience in financial management
● Experience of computerised accounting software and an aptitude for system improvements and developments.
● Experience of working with a wide range of finance and non-finance colleagues, including overseas offices
● Knowledge of Belgian payroll operation
● Knowledge of EU Compliance legislation (money-laundering, anti-corruption/bribery, etc.).
Skills and abilities
● Financial management and EU funds management
● Excellent English and French
● Solid understanding and experience of EU Funds / Grants design and management
● Experience of managing the finance and compliance aspects of comparable NGO/contractor projects in Belgium with EU resources is essential
● Solid knowledge and experience in financial and administrative management of an office
● Solid knowledge and experience in liaising with accountants, auditors and Belgian administration and service providers
● A hands on team member with attention to details, able to support colleagues and create a friendly supportive environment
● Experience within an international not-for-profit organisation would be an advantage
● Sound IT skills & analytically minded - experience with SUN or equivalent financial accounting software and systems would be an advantage
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
● Commitment to and compliance with Saferworld's safeguarding principles
● Commitment to respect and value equality and diversity, and understanding of how this applies to own area of work
● Commitment to own continuing personal and professional development
● Commitment to the vision, mission and values of Saferworld
● Organised, with an eye for detail in financial and administrative management
● A positive problem-solving approach
● Ability to work with a team-spirit
● Creativity, flexibility, self-motivation and the ability to prioritise workloads to meet deadlines and cope with pressure
Able to travel to the Saferworld head office in London on occasion.
● Location: Brussels
● Salary: €44,844 to €55,153 yearly gross sum (depending on experience) + benefits (life insurance, pension, lunch vouchers)
● Contract terms and hours: 4 days per week, until March 2023 - possibility of extending pending funding