WCMC (Europe) asbl is a newly established partner organisation of WCMC - a UK-registered charity that works in collaboration with UNEP, and with scientists and policy makers worldwide to place biodiversity at the heart of environment and development decision-making to enable enlightened choices for people and the planet. WCMC's 100-strong international team are recognised leaders in their field and have unrivalled understanding of the institutional landscape surrounding biodiversity policy and ecosystem management.
Based in Brussels, Belgium, WCMC (Europe) is a not-for-profit that promotes for public benefit the conservation, protection, enhancement and support of nature and natural resources worldwide. We do this by collecting, storing, processing, analysing, and sharing data that increase our knowledge and understanding of biodiversity and the conservation of nature. Good data are the foundation of informed decision-making and we work with many partners to help them develop their knowledge and capacity to make good decisions. https://www.wcmc-europe.eu
WCMC Europe is looking for a hands on Administration Officer that will manage the smooth running of the day-to-day running of the organisation and support all administrative aspects.
WCMC Europe attaches great importance to addressing safeguarding and ethical considerations in all activities carried out by its staff, including where partner organisations or individuals are part of the delivery of our work. This includes children and vulnerable adults in the community who may be vulnerable to abuse. WCMC Europe act with integrity, are transparent and expect applicants to share the same values.
This will consist of all aspects of office management, including general administration, contractual support, liaison with IT support and facilities. The postholder will report directly to the Operations Manager and Project Portfolio Manager, ensuring necessary operations and processes are implemented and supporting the Project Portfolio Manager with project implementation, including in relation to budgeting, contracting and providing timely and accurate financial information and analyses.
The post holder will bring experience in general administration, support and coordination role between different service providers.
The Administration Officer will manage the smooth running of the day-to-day running of the organisation and support all administrative aspects of WCMC (Europe).
This will consist of all aspects of office management, including general administration, contractual support, liaison with IT support and facilities. The postholder will report directly to the Operations Manager and Project Portfolio Manager, ensuring necessary operations and processes are implemented and supporting the Project Portfolio Manager with project implementation, including in relation to budgeting, contracting and providing timely and accurate financial information and analyses. The Administration Officer will need to be flexible and willing to handle a range of tasks.
The postholder will be supported by the team in WCMC (Europe)'s UK partner organisation, WCMC, on administrative, contractual and financial matters, and they will be expected to build good relationships with the administrative and project teams in WCMC to ensure a seamless collaboration between the two organisations. The post holder will have extensive office administration experience and will be able to work autonomously with support from WCMC and in line with the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
Key Areas of Responsibility
The key areas of responsibility of this post are to:
General Administration (reporting to the Operations Manager)
● Support all administrative duties of WCMC (Europe) to ensure the smooth day-to-day running of the organisation and office facilities;
● Work closely with WCMC UK's finance, operations and programme staff to provide mutual support when needed;
● Serve as the focal point for communications with WCMC Europe's service providers including IT support, Public Administrations, External Accountant, and any other external legal advisors, translation companies, as necessary;
Project administration support (reporting to the Project Portfolio Manager)
● Contribute to WCMC Europe's project delivery through supporting the compilation of project administrative and financial reports, and handling financial and contractual aspects of project delivery (e.g. raising purchase orders, assisting with project payments for subcontractors, invoicing, etc.)
● In close collaboration with WCMC Europe staff and Project Portfolio Manager, support the input and maintenance of project and resourcing plans and ensure that there are robust processes in place to keep these up to date. This will also include providing inputs to WCMC UK's overall project management and finance systems (Deltek).
● Support the Project Portfolio Manager to maintain and report on aspects of WCMC Europe's programme management, such as project pipeline and staff resourcing plans.
● Support the Project portfolio Manager to ensure necessary financial and contractual obligations with clients/funders are met.
● Help create and maintain a clear and organised document sharing system (e.g. Sharepoint) for WCMC Europe projects to facilitate smooth operations and collaborations with WCMC and external partners.
Financial and contracting support (reporting to the Operations Manager)
● Ensure that the external accountant has up-to-date financial information, that payments are prepared and invoices are filed, that financial information is input in Deltek as instructed by WCMC UK finance team.
● Complete WCMC Europe expense claims and raise purchase orders.
● Help compile annual reports and audited accounts for WCMC Europe by giving support to the external accountant, Operations Manager and auditor).
● Assist with WCMC Europe contracting by compiling initial draft project/service contracts, subcontracts and consultancies with the support of WCMC project leads and operational staff, as per the SOPs.
● Provide support to create, compile and update necessary administrative, legal and financial documents in line with tender and proposal submission guidelines and timeframes.
The post holder would undertake any other duties as may be required from time to time commensurate with the level of the post. The post holder will need to be flexible and adaptable to variable demands of a recently established not-for-profit. They may be required to occasionally travel internationally on behalf of the organisation to liaise with partners in the United Kingdom.
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATION
● Experience in business management, administration or similar, knowledge of Belgian ASBL realities.
● Worked in not-for-profit.
● A minimum of 3-5 years proven experience in administration and financial support
● Proven experience in data entry in different systems
● Proven experience of data management softwares (e.g. Deltek, Oracle...)
● Experience in coordinating service providers
● Experience of document sharing systems, ideally SharePoint
● Experience with web-based communication and website content management
● Experience in provision of organisational support to technically-focused/specialist staff
● Experience working remotely with partners in the UK and abroad
● Familiarity and/or interest in biodiversity conservation at the global level
● Familiarity with not-for-profit organisations, especially with Belgian ASBL or AISBL
● Knowledge of Deltek project management software
● Excellent organisational and communication skills
● A focus on attention to detail
● Ability to work autonomously
● Good numeracy skills including financial reporting
● Able to prioritise and ensure adherence to deadlines
● Understanding of project management systems is a plus
● Excellent office IT skills, with experience of working with MS Word, Excel and database software, knowledge of Deltek is a plus
TYPE OF PERSON REQUIRED
Flexible, comfortable with processes including financial ones, detailed oriented, able to work well autonomously as part of a very small team located in Brussels, and remotely with the larger team of our partner organisation (UNEP-WCMC). Willing to work with very different colleagues when needed. A commitment and passion for helping others to succeed and achieve results through creating an enabling environment.
We will provide you with the challenge of working on high profile conservation projects, where your work really makes a difference to the field of conservation in an area aligned to our strategic aims and broader global initiatives. In addition to training and development opportunities, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including generous pension contributions.
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
The successful applicant will be based in Brussels at the WCMC Europe offices, but may be required occasionally to travel internationally to fulfil the requirements of this position.