Médecins Sans Frontières
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) est une organisation humanitaire internationale présente dans plus de 60 pays.
Contexte et fonction
According with Log vision @ MSF Today, the Operational Logistics is a very specific and well-known force of MSF. Beyond the fulfillment of basic logistic needs, logistics is a solution-driven and innovative force that helps to build and realize operational projects.
In the energy domain, we are aiming to provide technically, socially, environmentally and economically responsible energy solutions adapted to context and needs, offering the best setup for our operations”, what we called our Energy Vision.
The Raison d'être of the MIO Energy and Cold Chain is because energy production and use is key for MSF's operations. MSF activities are increasing in number and complexity, and ensuring quality energy production has become more important in recent years. Innovative long-term energy solutions adapted to MSF's different operational realities are needed; solutions focused on beneficiaries and staff health, and which are appropriate for particular contexts or environments.
The MIO Energy and Cold Chain is part of the Front Office Log Department. S/he will be able to give the first line support to the field. S/he will be coordinated with the Energy Project Developer to improve and/or implement the MSF process, tools and techniques related. S/he will discuss with the Energy Technical Referent for technical advice. S/he will be proactive to evaluate and propose solutions in line to her/his technical domain.
The aim of the MIO Energy and Cold Chain position is to help on the implementation of the energy vision, always ensuring the safety of the people, the protection of equipment, and the continuity of the electrical service. S/he will implement or improve practices in the field for an effective and efficient design, installation, management, and use of the energy settings.
S/he contributes with the Technical referent Energy, the Energy Specialist and the Energy Project Developer by giving feedback of the functional status of the energy conditions in running projects.
S/he assists the setup of energy settings in starting or running missions in terms of technical needs, human resources, trainings, and external contractors according to MSF framework.
• Provide specialized 1st line support in the Energy domain:
o To support the Log Field Team on the design, installation, use, maintenance and decommissioning of the energy settings (hospitals and health centers, bases and residences) when no local service capacity or formal MSF guidance is available.
o To support the Log Field Team on functional evaluation of Energy setups as well as in proposing new solutions.
o To support the field to increase the abilities and capacities of the Energy Referent and/or Energy Technician: onsite trainings and coaching/support to field electricians.
o To improve and/or implement in the field the MSF protocols, tools and techniques related to Energy and Cold Chain.
o To evaluate in the field the possibilities and advantages of collaboration with the other technical families: Heating, ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC), construction, mobility, watsan, health facilities management, biomed.
• Provide specialized 2nd line support in the Energy domain:
o To support the Log Field Team on evaluation of external suppliers, maintenance contracts, local purchase and outsourced Energy services.
o To support the Log Field Team on the improvement of the conditions of use of the equipment, as well as empowering the sense of responsibility of the users.
o To support the Log Field Team to solve interdisciplinary technical problems affecting the optimal functionality of the Energy conditions with regards to water supply, infrastructural concerns, HVAC, among others.
• Provide support when possible to the Technical referent Energy, the Energy Specialist and the Energy Project Developer in 3rd line support tools development, such as:
o Guidelines for designing and maintaining Energy settings (renewable and non-renewable).
o Energy technical trainings.
o Follow-up and supervise outsourced developments.
o Job descriptions of Energy Referents and/or Energy Technicians in the field.
Qualifications & Experiences
• Technical education (technician, engineer) in electricity or electro mechanic
• Minimum 1 year experience in related position.
• Relevant work experience in the design of electrical projects and in follow-up and monitoring of electrical works.
• Relevant work experience in renewable energies (design, installation and follow-up).
• Relevant work experience in health structures.
• Experience in cold chain and HVAC is an asset.
• Certificates in technical maintenance are an asset.
• Field experience in developing countries is an asset.
• Field experience with MSF or another international humanitarian organisation is an asset.
• Experience in coaching and training of staff.
• Excellent oral and written communication in English and French (any additional operational language is an asset).
• Ability to plan and organize in stressful environmental.
• Mobile & flexible
• Good analytical skills.
• Proactive and willing to propose innovative ideas and solutions rapidly.
• Ability to set priorities and organize his/her own work.
• Result, quality & service oriented.
• Good teamwork and cooperation capacity / Excellent team player.
• Willing to take measured risks and responsibility for her/his choices
• Adhere to the MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
• Engineering or technical background with experience in renewable and non-renewable energies and cold chain.
• Ability to design Energy settings, including maintenance, planning and procurement.
• Ability to compare technical specifications of Energy equipment.
• Ability to create and perform technical trainings.
• Good understanding of sustainable building design (alt. low energy building design, energy efficient building design, or passive construction energy systems) and insulation techniques.
• Good understanding of electricity and electrical safety.
Conditions et contrat
• 1 year “MIO contract” - full-time
• Field position : salary according to MSF-OCB Field salary scale - legal leaves + “recuperation” leaves
• Position based in Brussels but mainly carried out (up to 70% of the time) in the field.
• Starting date : as soon as possible