Médecins Sans Frontières
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) est une organisation humanitaire internationale présente dans plus de 60 pays. La cellule récolte de fonds cherche des collaborateurs.
Contexte et fonction
Under the hierarchical supervision of OCB General Direction and the functional supervision of the Head of the International Legal Department, the Legal Advisor is responsible for assisting operations/field missions in managing and preventing legal risk in relation to: Human Resources, Duty of Care, Incidents (including road accidents, medical incidents, and other serious events), as well as manage mutualized legal resources and support the OCB HQ with various field-related issues.
As an organisation that employs over 35,000 national field staff, the legal advisor is responsible for assisting MSF operations/field missions in elaborating solutions in line with the Employment Law of the various countries of MSF operations as well as MSF's Human Resources policies.
(S)he works in a team with other legal advisors of the Movement to ensure harmonious solutions and equivalent quality between the different sections. Based on his/her legal analysis, (s)he proposes an annual action plan tailored to the needs of the section and contributes to the identification and resolution of intersectional legal issues as a team with other legal advisors and with the International Legal Director.
(S)he is a member of the International Legal Department HR Working Group, of which (s)he is foreseen to take the lead.
S(he) will be charged with the following responsibilities
70% dedicated to the Prevention and Management of Legal Risk
• Employment Law and Field Human Resources, which includes
o Collective HR = Internal Regulations and field policies: updates and country openings, support for the definition / writing of HR field policies and contracts, development of tools;
o Individual HR = case management and litigation;
o Possible evolution: ‘Responsable de domaine RH' for the entire International Legal Department ;
• Incidents / Road Accidents;
• Incidents / Attacks on property and persons: robberies, seizures of vehicles, etc.;
• Medical practice and incidents : medical registration, qualifications of medical personnel, management of medical incidents cases;
• Litigation: definition of legal strategies, follow-up of cases, assignment of legal resources, and provision of an annual overall assessment of the OCB missions' litigation risk and prescription of mitigations measures.
15% dedicated to the management of shared field legal resources
• Field lawyers and litigation as ‘Responsable de domaine' for the entire International Legal Department: validation, contractualisation, pooling of resources, data reporting and data analysis on litigation, creation and dissemination of monitoring tools;
• Management of OCB's pool of field legal advisors.
15% dedicated to HQ support
Focal point for HQ issues (such as HR, associative governance, admin/finance, etc.), the Legal Advisor is in charge of receiving the request, assessing the technicity of the issue to then either manage the issue directly or identify the right person inside the Legal team or the external pro bono lawyers to provide the service.
• Provide timely legal support on topics assigned by the DG;
• Participate in crisis management teams;
• Participate in the definition of the Legal Department's strategy and develop annual work plan and objectives in conformity with the Department's goals.
• Qualified Lawyer - in Belgium is an asset;
• Minimum 5 years of professional experience as a lawyer- in both civil and common law jurisdictions an advantage;
• Experience in employment law related issues required;
• MSF operational experience on the field is an asset;
• Rigor and ability to adapt to different legal systems, sense of priorities and of organization;
• Ability to translate an operational negotiation in legal language;
• Adhere to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust, Empowerment
• French and English speaking.
Conditions et contrat
• Long-term contract - Full time - Based in Brussels (Ixelles) with visits on the field
• Hospital insurance (DKV) - pension plan - canteen - 100% reimbursement for public transport costs
• Starting date: January 2018.